student of life

Saturday, May 07, 2005

The edited version

I am a student of life, and as is typical of any student, some lessons I learn and some fly completely over my head.It is said that nothing beats experience as a teacher, but noone has blessed/cursed with adequate days to learn all the lessons that life has to teach.With this in mind I opt to learn as much as I can from the mistakes and experience of others as well as my own.Hence why I've come to be so intrigued by this blogging phenomenon which seems to be taking over pan and my friends... mind you, it could also just be my overriding need to procrastinate.

I developed interest in one particular blog, even before I read it because indivuals around me were talking about it. D, I found your post interesing, and funny no end but I'm sorry that you seem to have so much to relate to this stereotypical "nice guy" on which you based your syndrome.
The truth is guys, you can make up as many lists as you want to to deal with this "syndrome" but if at the end of the day you're still pretending to be something you're not, you're right back at square one.
"To thine own self be true"...and really, what would you have to lose. Worse case scenario, the girl that you're interested in doesn't like the real you...then she ain't the right one for you. Atleast when you're yourself you both know what you're getting into and you can both save yourselves the awkwardness before someone gets hurt in the end (cause no matter how great an actor you are, noone can keep up the pretense forever).

And guess whatelse guys, males aren't the only ones who suffer from this "nice guy syndrome", though y'all seem to suffer from it much longer than we do.In my honest opinion, females just learn from a younger age that life ain't all flowers and candy, and we either have to learn to duck and weave or throw some punches of our own.
Yes, we all have a bitchy streak in us...that would be our punches being thrown.If you all think that society and the media reflects man badly, then what about females. According to society and the media's standards we're all supposed to be either 6ft tall, a size 2 and be able to cook, clean, and make and take care of babies, or 5ft tall, a size 0, feeble, needing a big strong man to protect us, and able to cook, clean and make and take care of babies.
I'm not going to turn this into a male vs. female debate, because in the end neither party wins... but what I want y'all to realise is the seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake, and no list in cosmo, allure, GQ, or someone's blog can make it better.
If atleast at the end of the day you can say "I was myself", or "I did not comprimise myself or my principles in anyway" or "I was not a pushover for anyone" then you would have that victory to feel proud and happy of.
P.S. I think whoever the maternal figure was in your life that instilled that tiny voice in your head had good reason for doing so, so mute the voice on occasion, don't try to get rid of it.
(The above post is based on my personal experienced, though limited, and those of close and dear friends who too have been hurt by facades and lies. No animals were hurt in the production of this blog.)
Live long and prosper all.

3 Comments:

  • Amen sister! As a firm supporter of nice guys, I agree with encouraging them to stick to themselves (so long as they are not being taken advantage of). Eventually they will be appreciated for all the wonderfulness they have.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 pm  

  • FIRE FI A WOMAN'S COALITION!!!!!

    By Blogger Bashmentbasses, at 1:06 pm  

  • YESSS, another blog spawned!!! My plan for world domination is working!! Today blogging, tomorrow the world!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

    I knew getting rid of Pinky was a good idea.....

    Ok, on the real...good points. Yes, women have their own problems never said they didnt, just decided to focus on a common misconception a lot of us guys have. Its also true that we should always be ourselves, but we have different sides to us that emerge at different times. And there's always room for improvement. One can have too bad a temper, one can have too little patience, and one can be too nice. Simple.

    By Blogger Diallo Dixon, at 8:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home