student of life

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Must-see big screen - part I

Well kids, it's that time of the year again when summer rolls in and the movies roll out.
There are several interesting selections on display this season, but please note that interesting does not equate to good.
Although there are quite a few movies that I would like to watch, with the increase in movie prices my wallet dictates that I am only allowed "must-sees", and even their numbers are limited.
It is here that I would like your input, to cut down my list to about 5.
Now let's begin...
First up we have "crash" which Jason C is apparently standing behind 100%. It may be considered for my action choice, but then where does that leave "Unleached"? and that movie definately looks like it kicks ass...I'm not sure about storyline, but when Jet Li moves on a screen you're allowed to be dazzled by his motions and not care much about storyline.
I'm definately considering "The Interpreter" for suspense. I've grown to appreciate Sean Penn as an actor since "Mystic River" which, by the way, I recommend.
As much as it grieves me to say because I had an imaginary love affair with Legolas Greenleaf for sooo long and pictured myself as Elizabeth to his Will Turner, I cannot bear to watch Orlando Bloom guard one more great wall. So to "Kingdom of Heaven" I say no, and I ask him to please please please consider doing a non-epic.
"Madagascar" is definately in the lead for animated movie that I want to see (if only because there doesn't seem to be anything else and it looks really cute).
I think I'll be skipping the old shows turn movie genre...so no to "Bewitched" though it looks like Nicole Kidman got that twitch down; and no to Jessica Simpson's Daisy Duke in "Dukes of Hazard"
I'm not so sure about "monster-in-law" but "Kung-fu hustle" is a definate must...Hayden don't forget to link me.
"Batman Begins" looks like they could have finally captured the darkness that is the vigilante nature of Bruce Wayne's alter-ego...Christian Bale is so cool by the way with diversity ranging from "Swing Kids" to "Little Women" to "American Psycho" to "Equilibrium". I look forward to seeing him as Batman vs Ken Watanabe's Ghul.
I'll also be skipping the slew of horrors...which by the way seems to be a trend for 2005,
why???
Ofcourse it's understood that I'll be watching "Episode III", not only for continuity but because I get to see Chewy again (Yes K, my reasons for going to watch movies can be rather skewd).

There are several that I'm not mentioning now, but they'll come in later posts (when things to blog about become waning)
If there are any movies that you recommend that I haven't mentioned, or if there's any movie that I've dismissed that you think I should reconsider then please respond. All opinions are welcomed.

8 Comments:

  • Excelent choices (y). Want to know how mamny people plan to see episode 3 though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 am  

  • You know my thumbs up for Madagascar and I definitely think The Interpreter will be a good shot (opens tomorrow!!). Can't speak to the rest as not really my thing. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 pm  

  • The Interpreter was excellent. I stand behind that one: definitely see it. It too was recommended by Jason who has proven to have good taste in movies, so if he says see Crash, me deh deh pan me teet!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 5:54 pm  

  • Just text me when you goin and tell me what you goin o see and I'll work it out. When I have more info on my pics I'll blog them for you.

    By Blogger Bashmentbasses, at 11:49 pm  

  • Thanks Hayden, and by the way I love how I'm serving as a muse for your blogs...hmm, do you suppose I could rent out this service. What's the going price for inspiration these days?

    By Blogger me, at 12:00 am  

  • 1/2 the price of my consultation fees.

    By Blogger Bashmentbasses, at 1:02 am  

  • BTW. I actually posted my movie pics after watching Chronicles of Riddick last night, before I saw your post this morning. When I updated the list after getting a cussin about the incomplete list, I changed the date since the post was now different from what it was intended to be.

    The song was all you baby!

    By Blogger Bashmentbasses, at 1:05 am  

  • Ok, this is sad, I dont know half the movies mentioned here, im seriously out of the loop :-(

    By Blogger Diallo Dixon, at 9:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home